THINGS TO COME
The Irish Enlightenment scientist Robert Boyle (1627-91) is remembered for his work on gases and Boyle's Law is still important in physics. But he was also a visionary who speculated on what future science might bring. His list of future achievements is as follows (his spelling):
1. The Attaining of Gigantick Dimensions.
2. The Transmutation of Species in Minerals, Animals and Vegetables.
3. The Prolongation of Life.
4. The Art of Flying.
5. The Cure of Diseases at a Distance or at Least by Transplantation.
6. Potent Drugges to Alter or Exhalt Imagination.